Skip to Content

Side Chair

Showing 1 of 1


  FILTER RESULTS
Image of Side Chair

Bookmark and Share

Bookmark: http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/165803



Designed by
Lockwood de Forest
American (1850 - 1932) Primary



Side Chair

1881
Wood, paint, upholstery

35 in. x 19.75 in. x 19.75 in. (88.9 cm x 50.17 cm x 50.17 cm)
Bequest of M. Carey Thomas, President of Bryn Mawr College, 1894-1922

Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: Deanery.371
Geography:
North and Central America and Asia, United States and India
Classification:
Furnishings and Furniture; Furniture
Culture/Nationality: American design; Indian manufacture
Collection: Deanery Collection

Lockwood de Forest (1850-1932) was an American-born artist who is most well-known for his landscape painting and interior design, as well as for his partnership with Louis Comfort Tiffany and the Associated Artists in New York. As a young man he travelled frequently with his family, touring Europe, North Africa, and parts of the Middle East before the age of 25, but his greatest interest was in the decorative arts of Eastern India. De Forest spent many years in Ahmedabad overseeing a workshop where craftsmen produced carved furniture, tracery panels, jewelry, and textiles for export to New York City.

This side chair is one of a pair with Deanery.372 and part of a set with another pair of side chairs, Deanery.369 and Deanery.370. Its frame is gilt and decorated with raised enamel floral designs. The banister back of the chair has eight spindles. The turned stiles have mushroom finials, and its turned legs end in bell-shaped feet.

The set of chairs was used in M. Carey Thomas’s large sitting room, the Dorothy Vernon Room. The room was modeled after one in Haddon Hall, Derbyshire, England, which Thomas had visited numerous times while she was a student, traveling in Europe. De Forest designed the room as a mixture of English and East Indian design, although Japanese teakwood tables and Tiffany lamps were used in the room as well. After the Deanery was razed in 1968, a new Dorothy Vernon Room was installed in Haffner Hall, about a quarter size of the original room, where many of the ceiling stencils, furniture, and other furnishings were re-located.

Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keyword

Bibliography List
The following Bibliography exist for this object:

Related Object(s) Click a record to view
Image of Side Chair
Side Chair

Deanery.369
Image of Side Chair
Side Chair

Deanery.370
Image of Side Chair
Side Chair

Deanery.372

Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:

If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:

<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/165803 |title=Side Chair |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=8/15/2020 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>

Showing 1 of 1



Your current search criteria is: Object is "Side Chair".

View current selection of records as:
CDWA Lite XML LIDO XML VRA Core 4 MODS XML Objects JSON