|Showing 1 of 1||
Colonial Figure19th century, 20th century
7 11/16 in. x 1 15/16 in. x 1 3/4 in. (19.5 cm x 5 cm x 4.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- colons - Figurative sculpture, dating in Africa from the 1880s, depicting the impact of colonialism through the manipulation of European characteristics, such as posture, attire, and accessories.
- mourning - The feeling or expression of grief or sorrow, along with the ritual observances accompanying a death.
- South African - Style and culture of the people of South Africa.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
- Gestures in African Art L. Kahan Gallery , Jan 1, 1982 – Dec 31, 1982
Owner Name: Leonark Kahan (L. Kahan Gallery)
Place: New York, New York, US
Ownership End Date: ca. 1982
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 294
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0115986.
Suzanne Preston Blier,
Gestures in African Art
L. Kahan Gallery.
New York, NY, 1982
Page Number: 47, 70, Figure Number: 37
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The British Museum Online Collection." (Accessed May 17, 2020): https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection. Accession No.: Af1954,+23.3552.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Colonial Figure".View current selection of records as: