|Showing 1 of 1||
Figure19th century - 20th century
Carved wood with patina
15 x 4.5 x 3.5 in. (38.1 x 11.43 x 8.89 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.18
Other Number(s): 83-53 (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, Angola
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Chokwe, Angolan, Central African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Angolan - Style and culture of the people of Angola, a republic (formerly a Portuguese colony) in southwestern Africa.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Chokwe - Refers to the culture of the Bantu-speaking people inhabiting the southern Congo and northeastern Angola. They comprise many aboriginal peoples and conquering groups of Lunda origin, and they speak a language of the Benue-Congo branch of the Niger-Congo languages. They are hunters or agriculturalists, depending upon which region they inhabit. They live primarily in woodland savanna and strips of rainforest along rivers.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Figure".View current selection of records as: