Kono (Heddle Pulley)19th century - 20th century
9 1/16 in. x 3 3/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. (23 cm x 8.5 cm x 6 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- heddle pulleys - Pulleys consisting of a grooved wheel in a frame, held in a frame and used to suspend and move the heddles on a loom. Examples are on African double-heddle looms, where the frames may be elaborately carved.
- Ivorian - Style and culture of the Ivory Coast.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
Owner Name: Galerie Khepri
Place: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ownership End Date: ca. 1970
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 85
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0069597.
Paris, France, December 8-10, 1990
Page Number: 87, Figure Number: Lot 292
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- D. Francine Farr, "West African Heddle Pulleys." African Arts 13, no. 2 (February 1980): 74-75.
- Anne M. Spencer, "Art of the Guro, Ivory Coast." African Arts 19, no. 3 (May 1986): 72-73.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Guro".View current selection of records as: