Yata (Dance Panel)Mid 20th century
Sewn and beaded cloth, hide, glass beads, and wood
29 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. x 7/8 in. (74.93 cm x 26.67 cm x 2.22 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.3.101
Other Number(s): 77 (166) (Neufeld Collection Number)
166 (Sotheby's Lot Number)
Geography: Africa, Nigeria
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts
Culture/Nationality: Yoruba, Nigerian, West African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
African*, beading*, beads*, beadwork*, multicolored*, Nigerian, scarifications*, West African*, Yoruba
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beading - Trimming, furnishing, adorning, or covering textiles or objects with beads, or creating jewelry by stringing beads.
- beads - Refers to small objects, of any shape or material, pierced so that they may be strung or hung or attached, as by sewing.
- beadwork - Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- multicolored - Refers generally to the use of many colors.
- scarifications - Refers to permanent marks, such as symbols, patterns, or other designs, made on human skin by scarring, done for social or cultural reasons or for personal decoration.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 166
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.:0101226.
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The Israel Museum, Jerusalem Online Collection." (Accessed May 7, 2020): https://www.imj.org.il/en. Accession No.: B03.0675.
- L. S. Dubin, The History of Beads (London, England: Thames & Hudson, 1987), 54-55.
- "Detroit Institute of Arts Online Collection." (Accessed May 2, 2020): https://www.dia.org/art/collection/dia-collection. Accession No.: 81.714.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BGIEG" and [Object]Century is "20th century".View current selection of records as: