Abẹ̀bẹ̀ (Ritual Fan/Mirror Associated with Ọṣun)19th century - 20th century
12 3/16 in. x 5 1/2 in. x 1 15/16 in. (31 cm x 14 cm x 5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.3.103
Other Number(s): 169 (Sotheby's Lot Number)
Geography: Africa, Nigeria
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Yoruba, Nigerian, West African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- A Curious Group; a cabinet of curiosities Bryn Mawr College , Apr 4, 2014 – Jun 30, 2014
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/17/1997
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 169
and Nathanael Roesch.
A Curious Group.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, April 4–June 1, 2014
Figure Number: Metal 3
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "High Museum of Art Online Collections." (Accessed October 15, 2020): https://high.org/explore/. https://high.org/collections/fan-for-osun/.
- J. Lorand Matory, The Fetish Revisited (Duke University Press, 2018), 213.
- Toyin Falola, ed. Encyclopedia of the Yoruba (Indiana University Press, 2016), D: 90.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Mace and Helen Katz Neufeld Collection" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Yoruba".View current selection of records as: