Sundi Chief's Spoon
|Showing 1 of 1||
Sundi Chief's Spoon19th century - 20th century
12.598 x 3.74 x 3 1/8 in. (32 x 9.5 x 8 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carving - The act of shaping, marking, or decorating wood, stone, or another material by cutting or incising, typically using tools such as chisels and other blades. It refers to this process as it is applied to small-scale objects or to objects that are not considered art. "Carving" may also be considered a sculpture technique that is employed in the creation of art.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- figurative art - Art that portrays forms recognizably derived from objective sources, in however altered or distorted form. Includes but not limited to representations of the human figure.
- spoons - Utensils consisting of a shallow bowl with a handle used for preparing, cooking, serving, or eating food.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
Owner Name: Emile Deletaille
Place: Brussels, Belgium
Ownership End Date: ca. 1960's
Remarks: Emile Deletaille gave Guy Van Rijn a photo of this object in the 1960's when he owned it. That is how we know it was once owned by Emile Deletaille. The photo is in the African Heritage Document and Research Center database.
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 215
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0022111.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Sundi Chief's Spoon".View current selection of records as: