Mbulenga (Maternity Figure)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Mbulenga (Maternity Figure)19th century - 20th century
11.811 x 2.953 x 2.756 in. (30 x 7.5 x 7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the Republic of the Congo.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- maternity - State of being a mother; also the qualities belonging to or associated with being a mother or being pregnant.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 12/20/1996
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Important Tribal Art
New York, NY, 1989
Figure Number: 257
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0181339.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Constantine Petridis, "A Figure for Cibola: Art, Politics, and Aesthetics among the Luluwa People of the Democratic Republic of the Congo." Metropolitan Museum Journal 36 (2001): 235-258.
- Constantine Petridis, "Of Mothers and Sorcerers: A Luluwa Maternity Figure." Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies 23, no. 2 (1997): 182-195, 198-200.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Mbulenga (Maternity Figure)".View current selection of records as: