Butti (Male Figure) with Bonga Cavity
|Showing 1 of 1||
unknown Congolese (Democratic Republic of Congo)
Butti (Male Figure) with Bonga CavityLate19th century - Mid 20th century
16 x 3.25 in. (40.64 x 8.255 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.54
Other Number(s): 84-20A (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Teke, Congolese, Central African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Central African - Styles and cultures from a wide region of Africa that straddles the Equator and is drained largely by the Congo River system.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- fetishes - Objects believed to be enchanted, or have magical power to aid or protect its owner.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 07/18/1991
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0013651.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0149634.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Robert Hottot and Frank Willett. "Teke Fetishes." The Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland 86, no. 1 (January - June 1956): 25-36.
- Jean- Baptiste Bacquart, The Tribal Arts of Africa (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 1998), 132-135.
- Frank Willett, African Art (London, England: Thames & Hudson, 2002), 150, 152.
- Linda Sigel, "A Private Collection at the Art Institute of Chicago." African Arts 5, no. 1 (Autumn 1971): 50-53.
- "ÌMỌ̀ DÁRA." (Accessed May 10, 2020): Imodara.com. https://www.imodara.com/discover/dr-congo-teke-buti-ancestral-figure/.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Butti (Male Figure) with Bonga Cavity".View current selection of records as: