Mende (active ) Primary
Female Medicine Figure19th century
Carved and incised wood
24 x 8 in. (60.96 x 20.32 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.56
Other Number(s): 84-14 (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, Sierra Leone
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Mende, Sierra Leonean, West African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- healing - The activity or function of restoring a person or animal to health, to aid in treatment of wounds, recovery from sickness, or otherwise curing.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- Sierra Leonean - Style and culture of the nation of Sierra Leone.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0112848.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- William L. Hommel, Art of the Mende (Lancaster, Pennsylvania: University of Maryland, 1974), Figure Number: 50.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAUKZ" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Mende, Sierra Leonean, West African, African".View current selection of records as: