Female Ancestral Figure
|Showing 1 of 1||
Female Ancestral Figure19th century - 20th century
9 1/2 in. x 2 3/4 in. (24.13 cm x 6.99 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- female - Referring to the sex that normally produces eggs or female germ cells.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- Igbo Laja
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0093884.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Herbert M. Cole and Chike C. Aniakor. Igbo Arts : Community and Cosmos (Los Angeles, CA: Museum of Cultural History, University of California, 1984), 87-99.
Male Ancestral Figure
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Female Ancestral Figure".View current selection of records as: