|Showing 1 of 1||
Janus-faced Staff19th century - 20th century
56 5/16 in. x 4 3/4 in. (143 cm x 12 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Bassa - Style and culture of the African ethnic group of the same name currently inhabiting the coastal regions and part of the inland forest of Liberia.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Janus-faced - Used for objects, typically masks or figures, with two faces positioned front-to-back or side-to-side.
- Liberian - Style and culture of the nation of Liberia, a West African state founded in 1822.
- staffs - Long sticks carried in the hand for support in walking.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0181809.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0068409.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Eckart Von Sydow, "The Image of Janus in African Sculpture." African Arts 5, no. 1 (January 1932): 14-27.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Janus-faced Staff".View current selection of records as: