|Showing 1 of 1||
Beaded StripLate 20th century
Beaded textile with glass or plastic (?)
69 in. x 7 1/4 in. (175.26 cm x 18.42 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.83
Other Number(s): 84-40 (Neufeld Collection Number)
Geography: Africa, Zimbabwe
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Adornments
Culture/Nationality: Ndebele, Zimbabwean, Southern African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
adornments, African*, beadwork*, clothing*, multicolored*, Ndebele, ornaments*, Southern African*, Zimbabwean*
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beadwork - Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- clothing - Coverings for the torso, limbs, hands, feet, and head for warmth, fashion, or to cover nudity. It generally excludes other items of costume such as jewelry, crowns, and other accessories that are purely decorative or symbolic and have no practical function.
- multicolored - Refers generally to the use of many colors.
- ornaments - Decorative forms or embellishments that are an integral part of a building or object but are not essential to its structure. Refers also to decorative objects attached to or worn by humans and animals. For objects signifying an honor bestowed upon an individual, usually worn on the person, see "decorations." Regarding techniques of embellishment in general, see "decoration (process)."
- Southern African - Styles and cultures originating in the southernmost region of the African continent, comprising the modern countries of Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. The island nation of Madagascar is excluded because of its distinct language and cultural heritage.
- Zimbabwean - The style and culture of Zimbabwe or of Black Rhodesians in the former Rhodesia.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- John Gillow, African Textiles: Color and Creativity Across a Continent (New York, NY: Thames & Hudson, 2016), 216-220.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Beaded Strip".View current selection of records as: