Skip to Content
Showing 1 of 1
Early 20th century
Beaded and woven leather, glass, textile (?) thread and metal
1.25 in. x 17.5 in. circumference
Bryn Mawr College
Clothing and Adornments; Adornments
Possibly Maasai, Kenyan, East African, African
Click a term to view the records with the same keyword
*Show Keyword Descriptions
This object has the following keywords:
- Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- Styles and cultures of the eastern area of Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, that together with the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia) make up Eastern Africa.
- Style and culture of Kenya.
- Ornamental pieces, often fur, which are worn at the neck; frequently trimmed with heads and tails of the fur-bearing animal.
Click an image to view a larger version
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
Journeys Through African Womanhood
Bryn Mawr College
, 2/14/2003 - 3/28/2003
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Neckpiece".
View current selection of records as:
TriArte facilitates access to the art and artifact collections of the Tri-College Consortium (Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore Colleges) by providing digitally searchable records for more than 39,000 objects. The information on these pages is not definitive or comprehensive. We are regularly adding artworks and updating research online. We welcome your comments.