Mfon Ekpo (Ekpo Society Mask)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Mfon Ekpo (Ekpo Society Mask)19th century - 20th century
9.25 x 7.25 in. (23.495 x 18.415 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- masks - Refers to coverings for all or part of the face, usually with openings for the eyes and sometimes the mouth. They are worn to hide or alter the identity of the wearer or for protection. Masks as cultural objects have been used throughout the world in all periods since the Stone Age. Masks are extremely varied in appearance, function, and fundamental meaning. They may be associated with ceremonies that have religious and social significance or are concerned with funerary customs, fertility rites, or curing sickness. They may be used on festive occasions or to portray characters in a dramatic performance and in re-enactments of mythological events. They may be used for warfare and as protective devices in certain sports. They are also employed as architectural ornaments.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- Selected Works of Art, Archaeology, Ethnography and Decorative Arts from the College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Feb 20, 2002 – Feb 24, 2002
- African Images, Western Imageries: Collecting and Recollecting African Bryn Mawr College , Sep 26, 1999 – Jun 15, 2000
- African Art from the Collection of Margaret Feurer Plass '17 Bryn Mawr College , May 19, 1990 – Oct 1, 1992
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0178060.
Frisk & Borodin Appraisers,
Inventory and Appraisement Belonging to the Estate of Margaret Barton Plass, Deceased. 7 March 1990
Bryn Mawr College Special Collections.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1990
Page Number: 1, Figure Number: 11
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Michael C. Carlos Museum Online Collection." (Accessed May 11, 2020): https://carlos.emory.edu/. Accession No.: 1994.004.213 .
- "Amyas Naegele." (Accessed June 8, 2020): https://www.amyas.net/. https://www.amyas.net/product/mfon-ekpo-ibibio-mask/.
- "The North Carolina Museum of Art Online Database." (Accessed June 8, 2020): https://ncartmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: GL.75.37.4.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Mfon Ekpo (Ekpo Society Mask)".View current selection of records as: