Basket with Lid1965-1999
Woven swamp straw (Marsh reed)
7 x 8 x 8 in. (17.78 x 20.32 x 20.32 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.16.7
Geography: Africa, Uganda
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Baskets
Culture/Nationality: Butoro, Ugandan, East African, African
Collection: Kilbride Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- bags - Containers or receptacles of leather, cloth, paper, or other flexible material, often capable of being closed at the mouth. For ladies' bags intended to carry personal articles, use "bags (costume accessories)." For large containers of cloth or plastic for carrying, transporting, or storing produce and other items, use "sacks."
- basketmaking - Process of creating containers made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
- East African - Styles and cultures of the eastern area of Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, that together with the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia) make up Eastern Africa.
- Ugandan - The style and culture of the central African State, Uganda.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- The Philip L. Kilbride Memorial Exhibition Bryn Mawr College , Apr 5, 2013 – Jul 25, 2014
Owner Name: Gift of Philip Kilbride, Professor of Anthropology
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Acquisition Method: Purchased/Collected
Ownership Start Date: Last quarter 20th century
Ownership End Date: 1999
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BGCEZ" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Ugandan".View current selection of records as: