Basket with Lid
|Showing 1 of 1||
Basket with Lid1965-1999
Palm leaf stalks, dyed raffia
11 x 15 x 15 in. (27.94 x 38.1 x 38.1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.16.34
Geography: Africa, Uganda
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Baskets
Culture/Nationality: Ugandan, East African, African
Collection: Kilbride Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- East African - Styles and cultures of the eastern area of Africa including Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda, that together with the Horn of Africa (Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia) make up Eastern Africa.
- natural dye - A class of dyes extracted from plant and animal sources. Natural dyes can be derived from leaves, branches, fruits, flowers, or roots of some plants, as distinguished from dyes manufactured from artificial chemical processes.
- palm leaf - Material comprising the leaf of any variety of palm tree, used for thatching, weaving, etc.
- raffia - Strong fiber from leafstalks of palms of the genus Raphia, native to Africa and other places. Raffia fibers are used in their natural state by splitting apart thick sections and knotting the ends together. The fibers are a pale cream color and are often dyed to bright colors. Raffia is used to make skirts, woven into baskets, hats, bags, and mats. It is also used to make a fine grade of paper similar to Japanese papers.
- weaving - Generally, the process of interlacing strands or strips of various materials, such as cane, textile, or twigs, to make materials or objects such as wicker, cloth, baskets, or wreaths. Specifically used for the process of making textile on a loom or other weaving device by interlacing warp and weft in a particular order.
- The Philip L. Kilbride Memorial Exhibition Bryn Mawr College , Apr 5, 2013 – Jul 25, 2014
Owner Name: Gift of Philip Kilbride, Professor of Anthropology
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Acquisition Method: Purchased/Collected
Ownership Start Date: Last quarter 20th century
Ownership End Date: 1999
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Basket with Lid".View current selection of records as: