Egungun (Masquerade) Headdress
|Showing 1 of 1||
Egungun (Masquerade) Headdress19th century - 20th century
11 9/16 in. x 11 in. x 8 1/4 in. (29.3 cm x 28 cm x 21 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- headdresses - Elaborate coverings or objects for the head, especially those worn for ceremonial or ornamental purposes.
- masquerades - Gatherings of people wearing masks, disguises, or costumes, often of an elaborate or fantastic nature; activities often include dancing. In Western cultures they tend to be simply recreational, while in others, notably African, they are important ceremonies.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Bruce and Adele King, in memory of Nicole M. King, Class of 1986
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Acquisition Method: Purchased in Ibadan, Nigeria from house to house traders
Ownership Start Date: 1962-1964
Ownership End Date: June 6, 2003
Remarks: There is a department of antiquities export permit from Nigeria on the mask which appears to be dated 7/5/64.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0164208.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Egungun (Masquerade) Headdress".View current selection of records as: