Bracelets19th century - 20th century
2.75 x 2.75 x 0.875 in. (6.985 x 6.985 x 2.223 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2003.27.9
Other Number(s): King Collection TN-9a-b (Temporary Number)
Geography: Africa, Nigeria
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Adornments
Culture/Nationality: Yoruba, Nigerian, West African, African
Collection: King Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- bangles - Nonflexible bracelets that slip over the hand or which are hinged and closed by a clasp.
- bracelets - Ornamental bands or circlets worn on the lower arm. Use "armlets" for similar articles worn on the upper arm.
- jewelry - Ornaments such as bracelets, necklaces, and rings, of precious or semiprecious materials worn or carried on the person for adornment; also includes similar articles worn or carried for devotional or mourning purposes.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Owner Name: Bruce and Adele King, in memory of Nicole M. King, Class of 1986
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Acquisition Method: Purchased in Ibadan, Nigeria from house to house traders
Ownership Start Date: 1962-1964
Ownership End Date: June 6, 2003
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0102863.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Agent is "Bruce and Adele King".View current selection of records as: