Chimú Miniature Tunic and Shawl
|Showing 1 of 1||
Chimú Miniature Tunic and ShawlLate Intermediate Period
1000 - 1450
Camelid and cotton fibers
2 5/8 x 2 1/2 x 7/16 in. (6.6 x 6.4 x 1.1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2000.3.270
Geography: South America, Peru, Andes (North Coast)
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Clothing
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
Chimú, geometric patterns, Late Intermediate Period*, mantles*, miniature*, Peruvian*, textiles*, tunics*
- geometric patterns
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- mantles - General term for a form of outerwear of differing lengths and having some shaping.
- miniature - Use to describe objects and beings of a reduced size or scale compared to the average or normal range for its kind.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
- tunics - Simple slip-on garments made with or without sleeves and usually knee-length or longer and belted at the waist; especially those worn by men and women of ancient Greece and Rome. Also, garments extending from the neckline to the waist or longer, usually high-necked and worn over other garments.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Ann Pollard Rowe, "Ica Style Women's Dress." The Textile Museum Journal 40/41 (2001-2002): 99-117.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Chimú Miniature Tunic and Shawl".View current selection of records as: