|Showing 1 of 1||
5 9/16 x 2 5/16 x 1 in. (14.1 x 5.9 x 2.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 70.2.5
Other Number(s): 21098 (The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Number)
Geography: North and Central America, United States, Connecticut
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Arts and Crafts Tools
Culture/Nationality: Native American
Collection: William S. Vaux Collection of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia
This object has the following keywords:
- adzes - Long-handled tools with a curved blade set perpendicular to the shaft and curving inwards towards it; used for cutting or slicing away the surface of wood, such as in dressing lumber. For similar tools but used for cutting, use "axes (tools)."
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- northeast - The compass point lying midway between north and east.
- stone - General term for rock that has been cut, shaped, crushed, or otherwise formed for use in construction or other purposes. Includes the specific archaeological and anthropological sense of individual stones which may be decorated or ornamented and which may be used in ritual contexts. These are usually not carved or dressed, and so differ from sculptures made from stone.
- tools - Objects, especially those hand-held, for performing or facilitating mechanical operations.
Owner Name: The Academy of Natural Sciences
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, USA
Acquisition Method: Bequest of William Samson Vaux, Esq. upon his death in 1882
Disposal Method: Donated to Bryn Mawr College
Ownership Start Date: 1882
Ownership End Date: 1/28/1998
Remarks: This material was on loan to Bryn Mawr College from 1961 until it's donation. Although, it was left to the Academy of Natural Sciences upon Vaux's death in 1882, it wasn't recorded in the register until after 1900
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Adze".View current selection of records as: