Double Weave Textile Fragment with Stepped Arch Design
|Showing 1 of 1||
Double Weave Textile Fragment with Stepped Arch DesignLate Intermediate Period
1000 - 1500
9 5/8 x 6 1/2 x 1/16 in. (24.5 x 16.5 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- double weave - Heavy textile consisting of two separate textiles woven simultaneously, one above the other. The warp is composed of two series of ends, and each interlaces with its own weft, or with a common weft which works with each series in turn. In patterned double weave, the two textiles change position as required by the pattern.
- geometric patterns
- Late Horizon - The seventh of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating 1476-1534 CE, during which the Inca established an empire controlled from Cuzco, which eventually reached from central Chile to southern Colombia. The period ends in 1534, the year marking the fall of the Inca empire after the Spanish conquest.
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- step pattern - A pattern in which a series of small right angles produces a steplike edge, usually proceeding a few steps up and then down again.
- stepped arches - Arches whose extradoses are stepped to correspond with the courses of masonry units in the wall around the opening.
- tabby - A process of weaving in which each weft thread always passes alternately over then under every successive warp thread. Both sides of such weaving are structurally identical.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Double Weave Textile Fragment with Stepped Arch Design".View current selection of records as: