Textile Fragment with Striped and Geometric Designs and Bird ImageryLate Intermediate Period
1000 - 1450
11 x 5 1/2 x 1/16 in. (28 x 14 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- Aves - The class of vertebrate animals that are typically bipedal and warm-blooded, lay large-yolked hardshelled eggs, often arboreal, and possessing feathers, hollow bones, forelimbs adapted for flight (although some have lost the ability to fly) and hindlimbs for perching and locomotion, a four-chambered heart, keen vision, a horny beak without teeth, and a large muscular stomach. Birds arose from theropod dinosaurs, which were an order of carnivorous dinosaurs.
- geometric patterns
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- selvage - The longitudinal edge of a piece of textile closed by weft loops, often distinguished by warp ends differing from those in the body of the textile and sometimes by a change in the binding.
- stripes - Long, narrow bands, typically of a different color.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BALHE" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Peru" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Late Intermediate Period" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Chancay" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Chancay".View current selection of records as: