Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting a Camelid
|Showing 1 of 1||
Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting a CamelidLate Intermediate Period
ca. 1000 CE - ca. 1470 CE
7 7/8 in. x 7 7/8 in. x 3 3/4 in. (20 cm x 20 cm x 9.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- clay - Naturally occurring sediments that are produced by chemical actions resulting during the weathering of rocks. Clays are composed of hydrated aluminum silicates, such as Kaolinite, Illite, Palygorskite, Attapulgite, Bentonite, and Montmorillonite. Small amounts of other minerals can change the color (white, yellow, brown or red) and texture of the clays. Clays may include all earths that form a paste with water and harden when heated.
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- stirrup jars - Ancient Aegean vessels with a false spout rising on top to support two stirrup-shaped handles and having a narrow, easily sealed spout further down on the shoulder.
- Mass Production of Art in Pre-Columbian Cultures: Moldmade Peruvian Pottery from the Bryn Mawr College Collection , Aug 31, 1998 – Nov 24, 1998
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting a Camelid".View current selection of records as: