|Showing 1 of 1||
600 - 1000
5 1/2 in. x 5 5/16 in. x 2 3/4 in. (14 cm x 13.5 cm x 7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 69.1.156
Other Number(s): D.343 (Canaday No.)
Geography: South America, Peru, Northern Peru
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Jars
Culture/Nationality: Chimú, Northern Coast
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- clay - Naturally occurring sediments that are produced by chemical actions resulting during the weathering of rocks. Clays are composed of hydrated aluminum silicates, such as Kaolinite, Illite, Palygorskite, Attapulgite, Bentonite, and Montmorillonite. Small amounts of other minerals can change the color (white, yellow, brown or red) and texture of the clays. Clays may include all earths that form a paste with water and harden when heated.
- jars - Deep, wide-mouthed vessels used for holding a variety of substances, usually without handles and generally cylindrical, although sometimes made in other shapes. For narrower-necked vessles, use "bottles."
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Middle Horizon - The fifth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating 600-1000 CE.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Traces of Greatness: Selections from the Pre-Columbian Collection Bryn Mawr College , Jun 30, 2014 – Sep 11, 2014
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Jar".View current selection of records as: