Chimu Textile Fragment with Geometric DesignLate Intermediate Period-Late Horizon
1000 - 1534
11 5/8 x 5 1/8 x 1/16 in. (29.5 x 13 x 0.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- brocading - Weft patterning technique of weaving raised patterns on a woven textile. For the process of stitching decorative designs into cloth, leather, or paper by hand or machine, use "embroidering."
- geometric patterns
- Late Horizon - The seventh of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating 1476-1534 CE, during which the Inca established an empire controlled from Cuzco, which eventually reached from central Chile to southern Colombia. The period ends in 1534, the year marking the fall of the Inca empire after the Spanish conquest.
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- lozenges - Figures that are squares or rhombuses rotated to have their corners on the horizontal and vertical axes. Common as an isolated motif, in a diaper pattern, or in a running series.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- step pattern - A pattern in which a series of small right angles produces a steplike edge, usually proceeding a few steps up and then down again.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BALHE" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Peru" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Late Intermediate Period-Late Horizon".View current selection of records as: