Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting a Sand Shark
|Showing 1 of 1||
Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting a Sand SharkLate Intermediate Period
ca. 1000 CE - ca. 1470 CE
5 7/8 in. x 7 in. x 6 3/8 in. (15 cm x 17.8 cm x 16.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 69.1.218
Other Number(s): D.138 (Canaday No.)
Geography: South America, Peru, Northern Peru
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- clay - Naturally occurring sediments that are produced by chemical actions resulting during the weathering of rocks. Clays are composed of hydrated aluminum silicates, such as Kaolinite, Illite, Palygorskite, Attapulgite, Bentonite, and Montmorillonite. Small amounts of other minerals can change the color (white, yellow, brown or red) and texture of the clays. Clays may include all earths that form a paste with water and harden when heated.
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- stirrup jars - Ancient Aegean vessels with a false spout rising on top to support two stirrup-shaped handles and having a narrow, easily sealed spout further down on the shoulder.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Field Museum Anthopological Collections." (Accessed August 4, 2020): https://collections-anthropology.fieldmuseum.org/. Accession No.: 100130.
- "The British Museum Online Collection." (Accessed May 17, 2020): https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection. Accession No.: Am1858,0403.25.
- "Pitt Rivers Museum Online Database." (Accessed October 23, 2020): http://objects.prm.ox.ac.uk/. Accession No.: 1921.78.18.
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting a Sand Shark".View current selection of records as: