Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting Fruit
|Showing 1 of 1||
Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting FruitLate Intermediate Period
ca. 1000 CE - ca. 1470 CE
7 1/2 in. x 4 1/8 in. x 6 15/16 in. (19 cm x 10.5 cm x 17.6 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- clay - Naturally occurring sediments that are produced by chemical actions resulting during the weathering of rocks. Clays are composed of hydrated aluminum silicates, such as Kaolinite, Illite, Palygorskite, Attapulgite, Bentonite, and Montmorillonite. Small amounts of other minerals can change the color (white, yellow, brown or red) and texture of the clays. Clays may include all earths that form a paste with water and harden when heated.
- fruit - Portions of a plant consisting of the seed and its envelope, especially the latter when it is of a juicy, pulpy nature. In its strict botanical sense, the fleshy or dry ripened ovary of a plant, enclosing the seed or seeds, such as apricots, bananas, and grapes, as well as bean pods, corn grains, tomatoes, cucumbers, and (in their shells) acorns and almonds, are all technically fruits. Popularly, however, the term is restricted to the ripened ovaries that are sweet and either succulent or pulpy. The cultivation and processing of fruits are major industries worldwide.
- Late Intermediate Period - The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- stirrup jars - Ancient Aegean vessels with a false spout rising on top to support two stirrup-shaped handles and having a narrow, easily sealed spout further down on the shoulder.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Stirrup-Spout Vessel Depicting Fruit".View current selection of records as: