Bowl with Flower Imagery
|Showing 1 of 1||
Bowl with Flower Imagery100 BCE - 750 CE
2 3/8 in. x 6 1/2 in. x 6 1/2 in. (6 cm x 16.5 cm x 16.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 69.1.263
Other Number(s): E61 (Canaday No.)
Geography: South America, Peru
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Bowls
Culture/Nationality: Nasca, Peruvian, South American
Collection: Ward M. Canaday Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- fleuron - Decorative motif in the form of a carved or painted floral pattern, square in shape, employed in Gothic architecture. The fleuron was also used for decorative borders and to embellish frames, and as a decorative element at the center of each face of the Corinthian abacus. It is also employed on furniture. For printers' type ornaments, use "printer's flower."
- flowers - The reproductive portions of any plant in the division Angiospermae, flowering plants. As popularly used, the term "flower" especially applies when part or all of the reproductive structure is distinctive in color and form.
- Peruvian - Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Traces of Greatness: Selections from the Pre-Columbian Collection Bryn Mawr College , Jun 30, 2014 – Sep 11, 2014
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Donald A. Proulx, A Sourcebook of Nasca Ceramic Iconography (Iowa City, IA: University of Iowa Press, 2006), 169-170. Figure Number: 5.246
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Bowl with Flower Imagery".View current selection of records as: