|Showing 1 of 1||
Greenlander (active ) Primary
Tupilaq Monsterca. 1979
1 in. x 3/4 in. x 4 1/2 in. (2.54 cm x 1.91 cm x 11.43 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2006.4.15
Geography: North and Central America, Greenland, West Greenland, Upernavik
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Sculptures
Culture/Nationality: Inuit, Greenlandic
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ivory - The modified form of dentin derived from animal teeth. The most common example is from the tusks of mature elephants; similar material is obtained from any tusked or large-toothed mammal such as a walrus or narwhal.
- Native American - Typically reserved to refer narrowly to the cultures of the native peoples of the United States and Canada, excluding the Eskimos and Aleuts. For the indigenous peoples of Canada use the term "First Nations." For the broader concept of the cultures of any native peoples of Central America, South America, North America, or the West Indies who are considered to belong to the Mongoloid division of the human species, use "Amerindian (culture)."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- A Curious Group; a cabinet of curiosities Bryn Mawr College , Apr 4, 2014 – Jun 30, 2014
- Frederica de Laguna: At Home in the Arctic Bryn Mawr College , Oct 1, 2010 – Mar 31, 2013
- Frederica de Laguna: Teaching by Example Bryn Mawr College , Oct 1, 2006 – Mar 1, 2007
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
and Nathanael Roesch.
A Curious Group.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, April 4–June 1, 2014
Figure Number: Fauna 26
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Tupilaq Monster".View current selection of records as: