47 5/8 in. x 21 7/8 in. (121 cm x 55.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2005.6.27.a-c
Geography: Asia, Japan
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts
Collection: Elizabeth Gray Vining '23 Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- hanging scrolls - Scrolls, displayed vertically, that contain text, artwork, or both.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- paintings - Unique works in which images are formed primarily by the direct application of pigments suspended in oil, water, egg yolk, molten wax, or other liquid, arranged in masses of color, onto a generally two-dimensional surface.
- paper - Refers generally to all types of thin matted or felted sheets or webs of fiber formed and dried on a fine screen from a pulpy water suspension. The fibers may be animal, such as hair, silk or wool, or mineral, such as asbestos, or synthetic. However most paper is made from cellulosic plant fiber, such as from wood pulp, grass, cotton, linen, and straw.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Elizabeth Gray Vining Collection" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Japan".View current selection of records as: