Noh Mask of a Man
|Showing 1 of 1||
Noh Mask of a Man20th century
9 1/2 in. x 6 1/2 in. x 3 in. (24.13 cm x 16.51 cm x 7.62 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- masks - Refers to coverings for all or part of the face, usually with openings for the eyes and sometimes the mouth. They are worn to hide or alter the identity of the wearer or for protection. Masks as cultural objects have been used throughout the world in all periods since the Stone Age. Masks are extremely varied in appearance, function, and fundamental meaning. They may be associated with ceremonies that have religious and social significance or are concerned with funerary customs, fertility rites, or curing sickness. They may be used on festive occasions or to portray characters in a dramatic performance and in re-enactments of mythological events. They may be used for warfare and as protective devices in certain sports. They are also employed as architectural ornaments.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- Mirrors and Masks: Reflections and Constructions of the Self Bryn Mawr College , Mar 23, 2017 – Jun 4, 2017
- A Curious Group; a cabinet of curiosities Bryn Mawr College , Apr 4, 2014 – Jun 30, 2014
- An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Apr 23, 2002 – May 20, 2002
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Noh Mask of a Man".View current selection of records as: