|Showing 1 of 1||
10 1/2 in. x 2 1/2 in. x 1 in. (26.67 cm x 6.35 cm x 2.54 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 31.387
Geography: Asia, China
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Personal Gear
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- pewter - Alloy of tin and various proportions and combinations of lead and antimony, and sometimes also copper.
- Qing - Refers to the the culture, style, and period associated with the reign of the Quing dynasty, dating from 1644 to 1911. Beijing remained the Chinese capital and was embellished with large scale, brightly colored buildings in brick and stone. In ceramics, contrasting styles of elaborate, opaque overglaze wares and monochrome wares were developed. In painting, an official academy was established, continuing the traditional landscape style of the Four Wangs.
- water pipes - Smoking apparatuses in which the smoke is drawn through a cnotainer of water and cooled before reaching the mouth.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Apr 23, 2002 – May 20, 2002
- An Appreciation of East Asian Aesthetics Bryn Mawr College , Mar 23, 2000 – Apr 23, 2000
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Water Pipe".View current selection of records as: