|Showing 1 of 1||
Tile13th century-14th century
7 7/8 in. x 4 5/16 in. x 1 9/16 in. (20 cm x 11 cm x 4 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2000.5.5
Geography: Asia, Iran
Classification: Architectural Artifacts; Architectural Elements
Collection: Wilber Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- ceramic tile - Fired clay in various shapes and thicknesses and with a variety of uses, as for surface covering, drainage, or construction. For general flat, solid, and relatively thin durable material used primarily for surface covering and of various materials, use "tile."
- Iranian - Pertains to the style and culture of modern Iran. Although modern Iran was known as Persia until 1935, art and architecture of ancient Iranian civilizations dates back to prehistoric times.
- Islam - Refers to the religious beliefs and social practices founded in the seventh century by the Arabian Prophet Muhammad, held to be the last of a series of major prophets, which include, according to Islamic dogma, Adam, Noah, and Jesus. It later spread throughout the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and parts of Asia. It is characterized by the belief in the fundamental idea that a devotee 'surrenders' and submits his will to Allah, the prime creator and sustainer of the universe and all creation. In Islam, God is unique and has no partner or intermediary as in the Christian Trinity. Social service and the active alleviation of suffering in others is considered the only path to salvation and prayer and sacred ritual alone are inadequate forms of submission to Allah. The Qur'an (Koran), the sacred text of the religion, is a compilation of revelations from Allah believed to have been received by Muhammad.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Bright Lights, Big City: The Development and Influence of the Metropolis Bryn Mawr College , Sep 13, 2015 – Dec 1, 2015
- Iranica: Modes of Transmission Benjamin Anderson and Yael Rice , Sep 1, 2005 – Dec 15, 2005
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Tile".View current selection of records as: