Literary Cuneiform Tablet
|Showing 1 of 1||
Literary Cuneiform TabletLate 2nd millennium BCE
3 5/8 in. x 2 1/8 in. x 1 1/4 in. (9.2 cm x 5.4 cm x 3.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: T.235
Geography: Asia, Iraq, Ninawa, Probably Tell Nabi Yunus (Probably Kuyunjik (Nineveh))
Classification: Documents and Documentary Artifacts
Findspot: Probably from Ninevah, at time of Layard's excavations
This object has the following keywords:
- Akkadian - Refers to the culture, period, and style in Mesopotamia from about 2340 to 2150 BCE during the rule of the dynasty founded by Sargon of Akkad. This style is characterized by a sense of realism and a high degree of artistic technical achievement.
- cuneiform - Script originally developed for the Sumerian language in the 3rd millennium BCE, consisting of characters made in clay with a wedge-shaped stylus.
- inscriptions - Words, texts, lettering, or symbols marked on a work, including texts, legends, documentation notes, or commemoration. For standardized symbols or notations on objects that convey official information, use "marks (symbols)."
- Mesopotamian glyptic styles - Glyptic styles belonging to Mesopotamian cultures.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Beyond the Shores of Tripoli Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University , Dec 20, 1979 – Jan 27, 1980
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Mesopotamia to Bryn Mawr," Bryn Mawr College Alumnae Bulletin (Winter 1970): 4.
- Maria deJ. Ellis, Cuneiform Tablets at Bryn Mawr College The Baghdad School of the American Schools of Oriental Research. Cambridge, MA, 1979
- Morris Jastrow, Jr., A Fragment of the Babylonian 'Dibbara' Epic University of Pennsylvania Press. Philadelphia, PA, 1891
- Andrew Oliver, Jr., "Beyond the Shores of Tripoli." (1979): Washington Society of the Archaeological Institute of America, New York, NY.
L'Epopea di Erra
Instituto di Studi del Vicino Oriente, Universita di Roma.
Rome, Italy, 1969
Page Number: 51, Figure Number: Tav. III-IV
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Literary Cuneiform Tablet".View current selection of records as: