Attic Geometric MugGeometric
ca. 900 BCE - ca. 700 BCE
3 7/16 in. x 3 13/16 in. (diameter) (8.7 cm x 9.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Attic - Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- Geometric - Refers to a period, culture, and style that developed first in Attica, but was eventually found throughout Greece, in Italy, and in the Levant. It is generally held to have occurred from around 900 BCE to around 700 BCE, though some classification schemes omit the Protogeometric period and begin the Geometric period at 1100 BCE. In pottery it is characterized by dark-on-light decorations arranged in regularly spaced horizontal bands, and differs from Protogeometric style in that the designs are busier and the bands cover nearly the entire vessel. Designs include zigzags, triangles, meanders, swastikas, and distinctive stylized, angular human and animal figures. Similar designs and figural types were used in sculpture and other arts.
- mugs - Drinking vessels, often cylindrical, resting on a flat base without a stem and having a single handle and sometimes a lid.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
- Ancient Greek Vessels: Pattern and Image Trout Gallery, Dickinson College , May 22, 2015 – Sep 26, 2015
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Ancient Greek Vessels: Pattern and Image
The Trout Gallery, Dickinson College.
Carlisle, PA, 2015
Page Number: 11
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Attic Pottery" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Vessels" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Geometric".View current selection of records as: