Corinthian Aryballos Mouth and Rim FragmentLate Corinthian
ca. 575 BCE - 500 BCE
1 3/4 x 1 5/8 x 3/16 in. (4.4 x 4.1 x 0.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- aryballoi - Relatively small ancient Greek vessels with a globular body, a short neck, a flat disk-shaped mouth with a small orifice, and a handle (or sometimes two) extending from the shoulder to the rim; used for holding oils, perfumes, and ointments. They are usually made of terracotta. Uses of the aryballoi included in funeral rituals and by athletes who wore them on their wrists, suspended by thongs or strings.
- concentric - Describes two circular or spherical figures, spaces, or objects that have a common center or axis.
- Late Corinthian - Refers to the late phase of Corinthian pottery style, dating from around 575 BCE to around 425 BCE, after which Corinth was no longer a major exporter of pottery. It is characterized by continued mass production and repetitive designs with little detail, as well as innovative work created with apparent care. Painting on these vessels typically includes elaborate ornaments arranged in formal patterns, a lively animation of design, and animals with attenuated proportions. During this phase animal scenes were gradually replaced by more scenes of human figures.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- toilettes - Term applied to a variety of French dressing tables designed for women.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BCFUZ" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Corinthian".View current selection of records as: