Group of Ferrara T. 800
Greek (active ) Primary
Attic Black-Figure Skyphos (Cup) with WrestlersArchaic
First quarter of 5th century BCE
5 1/8 x 6 3/16 x 8 3/4 in. (13 x 15.7 x 22.2 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Archaic - Refers to the pottery style found in Persia around 6000 BCE. The style is characterized by fine, plain buff pottery tempered with straw that is sometimes decorated with simple red or orange painted designs.
- Attic - Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- Black-figure - Refers to a style of Greek vase painting that developed from the Geometric and Orientalizing styles. It appeared in Corinth around 720 BCE, flourished in Attica by 600 BCE, and was found in Sparta, eastern Greece, and elsewhere, until the Red-figure style gradually replaced it in the late sixth century BCE. The style is characterized by a particular technique, which is characterized by the use of a refined slip, a two-stage firing process, and sintering to create black figures in silhouette on a red ground. Details were incised into the black figures or applied in purple or white pigment.
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- skyphoi - A type of drinking vessel in the shape of a deep cup, usually with two horizontal handles attached to the lip and a small integral foot. In all-black or unglossed plain wares the skyphos was the most common type of cup.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
- wrestlers - Athletes trained or engaged in the competitive sport of wrestling.
- Ancient Life on Greek Pottery Bryn Mawr College , Mar 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Attic Pottery" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Archaic".View current selection of records as: