Roman Glass Double Cosmetic Tube
|Showing 1 of 1||
Roman Glass Double Cosmetic TubeLate Antique
ca. 4th century
5 1/2 x 1 13/16 x 1 in. (13.9 x 4.6 x 2.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: G.1
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Toilet Articles
Culture/Nationality: Syro-Palestinian (?)
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- blown glass - Glassware shaped by blowing air through a blowpipe into a glob of molten glass.
- cosmetics - Powders, lotion, lipstick, rouge, or other preparations to be applied to the human body for the beautifying, preserving, or altering the appearance of a person.
- glass - An amorphous, inorganic substance made by fusing silica (silicon dioxide) with a basic oxide; generally transparent but often translucent or opaque. Its characteristic properties are its hardness and rigidity at ordinary temperatures, its capacity for plastic working at elevated temperatures, and its resistance to weathering and to most chemicals except hydrofluoric acid. Used for both utilitarian and decorative purposes, it can be formed into various shapes, colored or decorated. Glass originated as a glaze in Mesopotamia in about 3500 BCE and the first objects made wholly of glass date to about 2500 BCE.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
For RTI files of this object please contact email@example.com
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Mirrors and Masks: Reflections and Constructions of the Self Bryn Mawr College , Mar 23, 2017 – Jun 4, 2017
- Shifting Sands: Roman Glass in the Bryn Mawr College Collections Bryn Mawr College , Oct 15, 2007 – May 30, 2008
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
and Steven Z. Levine.
Mirrors & Masks.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, March, 2017
Page Number: 22, Figure Number: Plate 1
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Roman Glass Double Cosmetic Tube".View current selection of records as: