- Refers to the style of artistic production in the Cycladic archipelago between circa 3500 or 3000 and 1100 BCE though some authors limit the period from circa 2500 to 1600 BCE. Works of art include pottery and especially marble figures possibly of religious importance, rendered in elegant yet simple, schematic, attenuated forms, depicting mainly nude females of the folded-arm type.
Early Bronze Age
- Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- Refers to the style of artistic production in the Cycladic archipelago between roughly 1600 and 1050 BCE. Artworks include pottery decorated with abstract and figural motifs, wall paintings depicting festivals and natural scenes, and a group of large terracotta figures, all which reveal the influence of Minoan and later Mycenean cultures.
- The application of paint to a surface primarily for protection or to apply a general color. For the application of pigments to a surface to create an expressive or communicative image, use "painting (image-making)."
- Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Fine clay which, when mixed with water, results in a fluid with a creamlike consistency, used in casting, glazing, decorating, and repairing ceramic wares; in its natural state, it contains sufficient flux to be used for glazing and decorating without the need of additives. For ceramic glaze with a high content of slip, use "slip glaze."
Click an image to view a larger version
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/155839 |title=Middle or Late Cycladic Body Sherd with Slip and Painted Decoration |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=7/24/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 49 of 141
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "YUBH:YUBI:BGLWX:BGLXB:BGLXF:BGLXR:BGLXX:BGMSZ" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece".