Attic Black-Gloss Miniature Lopas (Cooking Pot)Classical-Hellenistic
Late 5th century BCE-early 3rd century BCE
diameter of rim
2 1/2 x 4 3/4 x 1/2 in. (6.4 x 12.1 x 1.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Attic - Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- black - UCL (Universal Color Language) standard color name identifying a range of blackish colors. More specifically, black is an achromatic color of maximum darkness, referring to objects having little or no hue owing to the absorption of almost all light in the visible spectrum. In the context of pigments, black is theoretically the mixture of all colors. In the context of colors of light, black is the absence of light.
- ceramic glaze - Thin, opaque, vitreous coating that is applied to the surface of a ceramic body by painting, spraying, or dipping, in order to add color, texture, or water resistance to the object. The glaze is applied to the surface of a fired ceramic piece, and then the piece is refired at a temperature that vitrifies the glaze, but is lower than the original firing temperature. Ceramic glazes are usually mixtures of silicates, colorants, and flux.
- engobe - Slip glaze applied over a clay body to provide a smooth surface for further glazing or decoration, usually by dipping or brushing; contains color oxides as well as clay, feldspar, and silica.
- miniature - Use to describe objects and beings of a reduced size or scale compared to the average or normal range for its kind.
- slip - Fine clay which, when mixed with water, results in a fluid with a creamlike consistency, used in casting, glazing, decorating, and repairing ceramic wares; in its natural state, it contains sufficient flux to be used for glazing and decorating without the need of additives. For ceramic glaze with a high content of slip, use "slip glaze."
- diameter of rim Dimensions: 2 1/2 x 4 3/4 x 1/2 in. (6.35 x 12.065 x 1.27 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Attic Pottery" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Vessels" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Classical-Hellenistic".View current selection of records as: