Attic Late Geometric Miniature Oinochoe (Wine Jug)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Attic Late Geometric Miniature Oinochoe (Wine Jug)Geometric
ca. 700 BCE
2 5/8 x 2 1/16 x 1/8 in. (6.6 x 5.3 x 0.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.72
Geography: Europe, Greece, Hymettos
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Oinochoai
Findspot: Hymettos; The site was excavated by Carl Blegen
This object has the following keywords:
- Attic - Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- Geometric - Refers to a period, culture, and style that developed first in Attica, but was eventually found throughout Greece, in Italy, and in the Levant. It is generally held to have occurred from around 900 BCE to around 700 BCE, though some classification schemes omit the Protogeometric period and begin the Geometric period at 1100 BCE. In pottery it is characterized by dark-on-light decorations arranged in regularly spaced horizontal bands, and differs from Protogeometric style in that the designs are busier and the bands cover nearly the entire vessel. Designs include zigzags, triangles, meanders, swastikas, and distinctive stylized, angular human and animal figures. Similar designs and figural types were used in sculpture and other arts.
- Late Geometric - Refers to the most advanced phase of Geometric style, dating to the mid- and late eighth century BCE and appearing across a wide geographical area. It varied significantly in different locations, but in general it is characterized in vase painting by a sophistication in the representation of figures and animals, including the portrayal of recognizable mythological figures and narrative scenes. Sculpture from this period depicts a wide variety of animals and human figures that are stylized, but more naturalistic than in earlier art.
- miniature - Use to describe objects and beings of a reduced size or scale compared to the average or normal range for its kind.
- oinochoai - Ancient Greek one-handled vessels used for ladling and pouring wine or water; made in a variety of jug- and pitcherlike forms.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Attic Late Geometric Miniature Oinochoe (Wine Jug)".View current selection of records as: