Early-Late Cypriote Body Sherd of Red Polished Ware Pithos
|Showing 1 of 1||
Early-Late Cypriote Body Sherd of Red Polished Ware PithosEarly Cypriote III-Late Cypriote II
2100 BCE-1200 BCE
3 1/16 in. x 2 1/4 in. x 11/16 in. (7.7 cm x 5.7 cm x 1.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Cypriote - Refers to the culture of the island of Cyprus, particularly during the Bronze Age from about 2300 to 1050 BCE.
- Cypriote pottery styles - Pottery styles belonging to Cypriote cultures.
- Early Cypriote - Refers to the period from about 2300 to 1900 BCE on the island of Cyprus. The art of the period is characterized by flat painted or incised terracotta figurines, vessels with scenes of daily life modeled around their outer rims, and the dominance of red-polished pottery.
- Late Cypriote - Refers to the period from about 1600 to 1050 BCE on the island of Cyprus. The art of the period is characterized by distinctive pottery styles, refined metalwork and decorative ivory pieces, and the growth of eclectic styles resulting from increased trading links with the Near East, Egypt, and Aegean.
- Middle Cypriote - Refers to the period from about 1900 to 1600 BCE on the island of Cyprus. The art of the period is characterized by a continuation of Early Cypriote styles including red-polished pottery and the production of flat painted or incised terracotta figurines some with modeled legs and arms.
- pithoi - Large ancient Greek earthenware storage jars, spherical in form and having a wide mouth, for bulk storage of liquids and solids.
- Red Polished - Refers to the pottery style predominant in Cyprus from the Philia stage beginning around 2500 BCE through the Middle Cypriote period ending around 1600 BCE. While the style underwent many changes in quality and appearance over time, generally it is characterized by a burnished red slip, fired to the colors of red and black, and decorated with incised and relief motifs.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Early-Late Cypriote Body Sherd of Red Polished Ware Pithos".View current selection of records as: