Attic Black Figure Lekythos (Oil Bottle) with Chariot Race
|Showing 1 of 1||
Workshop of the
Greek (active ca. 460 BCE - ca. 435 BCE) Primary
Attic Black Figure Lekythos (Oil Bottle) with Chariot RaceClassical
480 BCE - 460 BCE
7 3/8 in. x 2 3/4 in. x 6 5/16 in. (diameter) (18.7 cm x 7 cm x 16 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Attic - Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- Black-figure - Refers to a style of Greek vase painting that developed from the Geometric and Orientalizing styles. It appeared in Corinth around 720 BCE, flourished in Attica by 600 BCE, and was found in Sparta, eastern Greece, and elsewhere, until the Red-figure style gradually replaced it in the late sixth century BCE. The style is characterized by a particular technique, which is characterized by the use of a refined slip, a two-stage firing process, and sintering to create black figures in silhouette on a red ground. Details were incised into the black figures or applied in purple or white pigment.
- Classical - Refers to an ancient Greek style and period that begins around 480 BCE, when the Greek city-states defeated the Persian invaders, and ends around 323 BCE, with the death of Alexander the Great. It is characterized by the rebuilding of cities after the Persian wars, the flourishing of philosophy, drama, architecture, sculpture, painting, and the other arts. In the visual arts, it is known for the mastery of the human form and sophistication of architectural design.
- lekythoi - Ancient Greek one-handled, usually tall and slender narrow-necked vessels used for oil and unguents and as an offering for the dead. The form resembles the aryballos in that it has a narrow neck and a single handle, but the lekythos is generally a taller vessel with a small, deep mouth. The Greek word lekythos was undoubtedly used for the various forms called "lekythos" today, although it also appears that the term was used for oil vessels in general in Ancient times.
- Ancient Life on Greek Pottery Bryn Mawr College , Mar 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Attic Black Figure Lekythos (Oil Bottle) with Chariot Race".View current selection of records as: