- Style and culture of the region of Attica. For culture particular to the capital of Attica, Athens, use "Athenian."
- Cessation of life processes of all living organisms, but particularly refers to the act as it occurs in individual human beings.
- Ancient Greek one-handled, usually tall and slender narrow-necked vessels used for oil and unguents and as an offering for the dead. The form resembles the aryballos in that it has a narrow neck and a single handle, but the lekythos is generally a taller vessel with a small, deep mouth. The Greek word lekythos was undoubtedly used for the various forms called "lekythos" today, although it also appears that the term was used for oil vessels in general in Ancient times.
- Upright stone slabs, plain or decorated, used as commemorative markers.
- Refers to a style of ancient Greek vase painting that employed a variation on the technique of the Red-figure style and became popular in the middle of the fifth century BCE. It is characterized by the use of a chalky white slip as a background, over which black glaze was used to outline figures, and diluted glazes of purple, brown, red, and white were used to color the figures. Additional colors that could not withstand firing were added afterwards. Scenes often depict figures situated on a common groundline at the bottom of a panel or in horizontal bands, which is unlike earlier compositions where figures were generally scattered throughout the picture plane.
Click an image to view a larger version
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
Ancient Life on Greek Pottery
Bryn Mawr College
, 3/30/2015 - 6/1/2015
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/157715 |title=Attic White-Ground Lekythos (Oil Bottle) with Tomb Visitation Scene |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=11/29/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 1 of 1
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Attic White-Ground Lekythos (Oil Bottle) with Tomb Visitation Scene".