Etruscan Bucchero Kantharos (Cup)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Etruscan Bucchero Kantharos (Cup)Archaic
6th century BCE
height with handles
4 5/16 x 6 5/8 x 4 5/16 in. (11 x 16.8 x 11 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.289
Geography: Europe, Italy
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Kantharoi
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Bucchero - Style of Etruscan pottery that resembles metalware, produced between the end of the 7th and the beginning of the 5th centuries BCE.
- cups - Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- Etruscan - Culture and style of artistic production in Etruria, now modern Tuscany and part of Umbria, between the 7th and 3rd centuries BCE. Known partly from elaborate tumuli, artworks include bronze mirrors and cists, wall paintings, and terracotta and bronze sculptures that are distinct from the Greek Archaic style in their lively sense of movement and delicate decoration. Developments in architecture include the construction of mud brick and wooden temples decorated with terracotta roof tiles and statues. In some classification schemes Etruscan culture includes the Villanovan culture, which was first evident on the Italian peninsula in the ninth century BCE.
- kantharoi - Ancient Greek drinking vessels featuring a deep, footed bowl set on a tall footed stem and two vertical side handles extending from the bottom of the vessel to the rim. The kantharos is intimately associated with the wine god Dionysos, who is often depicted on vases holding a kantharos of type A or a rhyton.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- height with handles Dimensions: 4 5/16 x 6 5/8 x 4 5/16 in. (11 x 16.828 x 10.954 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Etruscan Bucchero Kantharos (Cup)".View current selection of records as: