Early Bronze Age
- Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- Refers to the period and style associated with the Greek Bronze Age civilization on the island of Crete from around 3,500 BCE to around 1,050 BCE, as distinct from contemporary cultures on the Greek Mainland, known as "Helladic," and on the other islands, known as "Cycladic." Minoan art and culture spread in the Aegean region, and thus existed in locations outside Crete. It is characterized by innovations and a grand scale in city and palace design, extensive use of writing, and a distinctive sophistication in art, including elaborate seals, pottery, frescoes, and sculpture.
- Producing a variegated effect on the surface of a material.
- Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Covered vessels for brewing and serving tea, usually with one spout, which is often long and gracefully curved, and, on the opposite side of the vessel, one handle, and sometimes small feet. Distinguished from "teakettles" which usually have a short pouring spout, a bail handle, and a broad, flat bottom, and are used for heating water from which tea is made.
Click an image to view a larger version
Dimensions: 1 13/16 x 2 3/4 x 3/16 in. (4.604 x 6.985 x 0.476 cm)
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/157795 |title=Early Minoan Rim Sherd of a Teapot with Mottling |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=10/27/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 1 of 1
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Early Minoan Rim Sherd of a Teapot with Mottling".