African Red Slip Ware Rim Fragment
|Showing 1 of 1||
African Red Slip Ware Rim FragmentPossibly 360 - 470
1 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 3/8 in. (4.5 x 3.8 x 1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Terra sigillata - Refers a style used in fine pottery of Italy, Gaul, and Germany, and throughout the Roman Empire from the first century BCE to the third century CE. It developed from the traditions of ancient Greek pottery in the use of calcitic clays rich in iron compounds to produce a glossy surface, but it differs from Greek pottery in employing a single-phase firing in an open kiln. It is characterized by its red color, smooth finish, and sometimes by decorations of stamped figures or patterns. The term was coined in the ninteenth century, and historically there has been disagreement regarding to which pottery it applies, stemming from various interpretations of the term as either "stamped earth," with reference to the stamped designs, or "sealed earth" with reference to an astringent, fatty, medicinal bole called "terra sigillata," from the island of Lemnos, that was thought to be the clay from which the pottery was made. Further confusion has surrounded the relationship of this term and "Samian ware" or "Samian."
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
- maximum length Dimensions: 1 3/4 x 1 1/2 x 3/8 in. (4.5 x 3.81 x 0.953 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "African Red Slip Ware Rim Fragment".View current selection of records as: