- Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
Early Bronze Age
- Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- Refers to the earliest phase of Minoan art and culture, according to the classification system devised by the archaeologist, Arthur Evans. It is characterized by the introduction of metal from Asia Minor, distinctive sculpture, and pottery, including hand-made clay pots decorated with incised geometric patterns and others that are apparently inspired by Egyptian pieces of the First to Fourth Dynasties. It overlaps with the Prepalatial period in the alternate classification scheme of Nikolas Platon.
- Producing a variegated effect on the surface of a material.
- Process of rubbing a surface to make it smooth or shiny.
- Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Early Minoan pottery named after a site in eastern Crete, and characterized by the invention of unusual shapes, including teapots with exaggerated, long spouts and jugs with tall, beaked spouts. Distinctive decoration was created by covering the entire pot with a coat of slip, which was mottled during firing to achieve a variegated effect in brilliant red and black.
Click an image to view a larger version
Dimensions: 2 3/16 x 3 1/4 x 5/16 in. (5.556 x 8.255 x 0.794 cm)
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/157897 |title=Early Minoan Rim Sherd of a Vasiliki Ware Shallow Bowl with Mottling and Polished Decoration |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=10/23/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 1 of 1
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Early Minoan Rim Sherd of a Vasiliki Ware Shallow Bowl with Mottling and Polished Decoration".