Early Minoan Body Sherd of a Jar or Jug with Mottled DecorationEarly Minoan IIB
ca. 2600 BCE - ca. 2300 BCE
2 5/16 x 3 1/4 x 5/16 in. (5.9 x 8.3 x 0.8 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.433
Geography: Europe, Greece
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Early Bronze Age - Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- Early Minoan - Refers to the earliest phase of Minoan art and culture, according to the classification system devised by the archaeologist, Arthur Evans. It is characterized by the introduction of metal from Asia Minor, distinctive sculpture, and pottery, including hand-made clay pots decorated with incised geometric patterns and others that are apparently inspired by Egyptian pieces of the First to Fourth Dynasties. It overlaps with the Prepalatial period in the alternate classification scheme of Nikolas Platon.
- jars - Deep, wide-mouthed vessels used for holding a variety of substances, usually without handles and generally cylindrical, although sometimes made in other shapes. For narrower-necked vessles, use "bottles."
- jugs - Vessels, generally made of earthenware, stoneware or porcelain and often of large capacity, which have a narrow neck and a handle (usually a vertical loop or scroll handle); may sometimes have a pouring lip.
- mottling - Producing a variegated effect on the surface of a material.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- maximum length Dimensions: 2 5/16 x 3 1/4 x 5/16 in. (5.874 x 8.255 x 0.794 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BCESY" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece".View current selection of records as: